Curriculum Vitae - Ulrich Langer
em.o.Univ.-Prof. Dr. Ulrich Langer
Institute of Computational Mathematics
Johannes Kepler University Linz
Altenberger Str. 69
|17/08/1952||born in Marienberg (Sachsen, Germany), son of Gottfried Langer and Gertraude Langer, maiden name Helmert.|
|1959 - 1967||Grade school in Großrückerswalde (Sachsen, Germany).|
|1967 - 1971||High school in Marienberg, 1971 Abitur (school-leaving exam).|
|1971 - 1975||study of Mathematics at the Technical University Karl-Marx-Stadt,  1975 Diploma Thesis, title: 'Diplommathematiker'.|
|1975 - 1976||Research Assistant at the Department of Mathematics at the Technical University of Chemnitz (Germany).|
|1976 - 1980||Research Assistant at the Faculty for Mathematics and Mechanics at the Leningrad University (Russia).|
|May 1980||Doctoral degree (Ph.D.) awarded at the State University of St. Petersburg (Russia).|
|1980 - 1987||Assistant Professor at the Department of Mathematics at the Technical University of Chemnitz.|
|SS 1986||Visiting Assistant Professor at the Faculty of Mathematics and Mechanics at the State University of St. Petersburg (6 months).|
|1986||Habilitation for Mathematics, Technical University of Chemnitz.|
|1987||Promotion to Associate Professor with tenure at the Technical University of Chemnitz.|
|1989||offer of a chair for the position of an Associate Professor for "Numerical Mathematics" at the Section Mathematics at the Technical University Karl-Marx-Stadt.|
|1992||Appointment to the post of a professor (C3) (of new law) for the field "Numerical Mathematics" at the Section of Mathematics of the Technical University Chemnitz, Germany.|
|1992||Call to a Full Professorship for "Numerical Mathematics" at the Institute of Mathematics, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria.|
|1992||Call to a Full Professorship (C4) for "Numerical Mathematics" at the Institute of Geometrics and Practical Mathematics, RWTH Aachen, Germany (1993 offer declined).|
|1993 - 1999||Member of the Scientific Board of the HLRZ of the KFA Jülich (Germany).|
|1.10.1993||Appointed Full Professor and holder of Chair for Numerical Mathematics at the Institute of Mathematics (since 1998 Institute of Analysis and Computational Mathematics and since 2001 Institute of Computational Mathematics), Johannes Kepler University Linz.|
|1995||Visiting professor at the Department of Mathematics and Computer Sciences at the University Kuwait (Kuwait).|
|1995||Call to a Full Professorship (C4) for "Scientific Computing" at the Institute of Scientific Computing (IWR), University Heidelberg (1995 offer declined).|
|1998 - 2003||Member of the Council of the GAMM.|
|1998 - 2003||Speaker of the Special Research Project "Numerical and Symbolic Scientific Computing" supported by the Austrian Research foundation under the grand SFB F013.
|1999||Member of the WG 2.5 of the IFIP.|
|1999||Member of the Scientific Council of the WIAS Berlin (Germany).|
|2000||Call to a Full Professorship (C4) for "Numerical Mathematics and Scientific Computing" at the Faculty of Mathematics and Informatics of the Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena (Germany) (2001 offer declined).|
|SS 2002||Visiting professor at the Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas, USA.
|since 2003||Deputy director of the "Radon Institute for Computational and Applied Mathematics" (RICAM) of the Austrian Academy of Sciences.
|since 2003||Subject Reporter for Applied Mathematics at the Board of the Austrian Science Fund (FWF).
|WS 2005||Chair of the Special Semesters "Computational Mechanics" at RICAM
|2006||Chair of the 17th International Conference on Domain Decomposition Methods held in Strobl / St.Wolfgang, Austria, July 3-7, 2006
|SS 2013||MATHEON guest professor at the Technical University Berlin, Germany.
More of my Curriculum Vitae
- Membership in mathematical societies: GAMM
- Member of the editorial board of the following journals:
- Electronic Transactions on Numerical Analysis (since 2009)
- Computational Methods in Applied Mathematics (since 2009)
- Computational Mechanics (since 2009)
- Computing (1994 - 2009)
- Computing and Visualization in Science (since 1998)
- GAMM-Mitteilungen (1992 - 1996)
- International Journal of Computing Science and Mathematics (since 2006)
- Journal of Numerical Mathematics (since 2006)
- Numerical Linear Algebra with Applications (since 1993)
- SIAM Journal on Numerical Analysis (since 2020)
- Surveys on Mathematics for Industry (since 1998)
- ZAMM (since 1997)
- Completed supported research projects since 1991:
- "Gebietszerlegungsmethoden für Finite Elemente and Randelemente".
This project (La 767/1-1) was supported by the German research council (DFG) within the priority program "Boundary Element Methods" from 1991 until 1993.
- "Adaptive Gebietszerlegungsmethoden für Finite Elemente and Randelemente".
This project (La 767/1-3) was supported by the DFG within the priority program "Boundary Element Methods" from 1993 untill 1995.
- "Gebietszerlegungsmethoden in der Strukturmechanik".
This project (P 10643 TEC) was supported by the Austrian Science Fund (FWF) from 1995 untill 1998.
- "Design, Analysis and Implementierung von parallelen Algorithmen in der 3D Magnetfeldberechnung".
This project (P 11215 TEC) was supported by the FWF from 1996 until 1999.
- "Coupled Field Problems: Advanced Numerical Methods and Applications to Non-linear Magnetic Field Problems".
This project (F1306) is a subproject of the SFB F013 which has been supported by the FWF since 01/04/1998.
- "Hierarchical Methods for the Simulation and Optimal Design with Applications to Magnetic Field Problems".
This project (F1309) is a subproject of the SFB F013 which has been supported by the FWF since 01/04/1998.
- "Entwicklung eines Netzgenerators and eines Lösers für die Navier-Stokes-Gleichungen (AUTOGEN)".
This project was supported by the FFF and the AVL List GmbH Graz from 1998 until 2000.
- "Numerische Analysis von SAW - Bauteilen (EPCOS - Projekt)".
This project was a joint research project with professor Lerch (University Erlangen) that was supported by the company EPCOS AG (Munich) from 1999 until 2002.
- "Robust Algebraic Multigrid Methods and their Parallelization".
This project (P 14953) was supported by the Austrian Science Fund (FWF) from 2001 until 2005.
- Ongoing supported research projects:
- "Adaptive Multilevel Methods for Nonlinear 3D Mechanical Problems".
Dieses Projekt (F1306) ist ein Teilprojekt im SFB F013, welches unter diesem Thema seit 1.4.2003 vom FWF gefördert (3. Förderungsperiode).
- "Multilevel Solvers for Large Scale Discretized Optimization Problems".
Dieses Projekt (F1309) ist ein Teilprojekt im SFB F013, welches unter diesem Thema seit 1.4.2003 vom FWF gefördert (3. Förderungsperiode).
- "Fast Solvers for Computationa Pharmacy, Life Sciences, Mathematics, Physics and Environmental Modeling".
This is a joint US-American - Austrian research project supported by the NSF grant OISE-0405349 since 2004.
The project is led by Craig C. Douglas (USA).
- Workpackage "Applied Numerical Simulations" in the Austrian Grid Project supported by the ministry BMBWK since 2004.
[main page: http://www.numa.uni-linz.ac.at] [last updated: 2021-04-27] [back to homepage Langer]